Lemon juice with its many internal and external benefits should be a part of your life. In this article, we will discuss Lemon Juice Benefits For Health.
Lemons, those tart, tangy fruits, are loaded with health-giving properties and are available the year-round. Lemons give countless health benefits if you make them a part of your daily life. Nothing is easier than squeezing a lemon and using the lemon juice for internal and external applications for all-round health.
Citrus Limonum, belong to the family N. O. Rutaceae and are characterized by a sharp, sour taste. Lemon juice is obtained by squeezing a lemon sliced into halves and contains 53 mg of Vitamin C, folates, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine, Pantothenic acid, a small amount of Vitamin A, protein and carbohydrates.
Mineral Content in Lemon Juice
Potassium, Magnesium, Manganese, Calcium, Copper and Zinc are the mineral content in lemon juice. When you squeeze the lemon half, you also crush the rind that mixes flavonoids Hesperetin, Naringenin and Naringin in lemon juice. In addition, you also get Beta and alpha-carotene, Lutein Zeaxanthin and Cryptoxanthin from lemon juice. The Oxygen Radical Antioxidant Capacity (ORAC) of lemons is 1225 micromol TE, making it one of the best antioxidants.
Benefits of Lemon Juice – Lemon Juice Benefits For Health
Lemon juice as obtained from the fruit is highly concentrated and is best diluted for internal consumption. When you consume lemon juice you gain a number of health benefits.
- Drink lemon juice mixed with warm water in the morning and abstain from eating anything for a couple of hours. Lemon juice will work as a detoxifier for your body, removing toxins and wastes. You feel revitalized and fresh all day long.
- Your immune system receives a boost with a daily dose of lemon juice besides giving you enough Vitamin C, keeping you safeguarded against bacterial and viral infections.
- Lemon juice with its high potassium content also purifies your blood and tunes up your cardiovascular system, reducing blood pressure and stress. Also, it improves brain and nerve functions. Lemon juice has a tonic effect on the liver and kidneys, helping metabolism and elimination of wastes as well as the removal of gall stones, kidney stones, and uric acid. As a result, it also helps reduce inflammation, especially of the joints.
Some More Benefits of Lemon Juice:
- Flavonoids and essential oils in lemon juice have a calming effect, helping to relieve stress, another reason to drink it before you start a hectic day.
- Though acidic, lemon juice turns alkaline on digestion, improves the pH of cells and aids absorption of nutrients.
- Starting the day with lemon juice is a great way to keep your weight under control since lemon juice improves metabolism and aids fat burning. Mixed with the juice of bitter gourd, it gains in efficacy.
- Limonoids in lemon juice are effective carcinogens.
- If you have a fever, drink lemon juice mixed with ginger juice and warm water for quick relief.
- If you are down with colds and coughs, boil water, crush a half lemon in it with the skin on and add pepper powder and some ginger juice. Drinking the hot infusion brings quick relief.
- If you have ulcers in the mouth, rinse it with lemon juice and warm water and soon your ulcers will heal. Lemon juice is one of the best antiscorbutics, keeping you protected against scurvy.
- Lemon juice with rock salt and asafetida relieves flatulence while lemon juice with dill seed powder and fennel seed powder calms colic.
Enhancing and complementing the properties of lemon juice:
You can add ginger juice, honey, mint, cumin seed powder, coriander juice and rock salt. Various combinations act synergistically to deliver even greater benefits.
- Lemon juice diluted with a little water and applied on your skin will help remove oils, clear up the pores and kill bacteria, so common in acne infections.
- Lemon juice so used will also help prevent the formation of wrinkles and keep your skin fresh and glowing.
- Take a whole, fresh lemon and scrape the skin lightly. Inhale. The scent of lemon oils will have a soothing, calming and energizing effect on your mind. It also helps relieve symptoms of nausea.
- Lemon juice, applied to your hair and scalp, will keep dandruff away besides adding a healthy bounce and gloss.
Ayurveda Perspective on Lemon Juice
Lemon juice pacifies vata or wind and kapha or phlegm while balancing biliousness. It moderates the fiery effects of spices in food while aiding digestion.
Though you can buy ready-made lemon juice, it is best to keep lemons at home and squeeze a lemon for lemon juice when needed in order to get the most out of it. Use it every day, internally and externally and the effects will be quite noticeable.
Also read: Home Remedies For Pimples On Face
Comments are closed.